Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Tuesday 12 December 2017

Winter Scene with Sleigh Card

This card turned out to be a little more complicated than I had first thought, as my cards often do,  when I dreamed it up in my head! I knew how I wanted the end result to look like, but the reality is often more than I think it is going to be.  

Anyway, I won't bore you with the details, If you want to see the circus that unfolded, then watch the video attached, I will give you the details of how to go about making this card here. 


I started off by cutting out a card base with a large stitched square die, and then cut two frames out using 2 stitched dies and one inside and outside stitched die, Making one a bit fatter than the first one.  

Next I cut a variety of trees with dies, it doesn't matter what kind you have, any of the tree dies that you might have will work.  Also I cut a couple of snow slopes out of white glitter paper, with two slope border dies, but again if you didn't have these dies then you could just freehand cut them with scissors.  
Next I put some liquid glue around the edges of the tree, and sprinkled some chunky glitter onto that and put them aside to dry.  

Once they were dry, I was able to take each frame, half the trees and a snow slope, and glue them together to make a scene when I put the two frames together later.  I just needed them made, so that I could decide where I wanted my moon and sleigh for the background.  



The background I made a mask with a circle die and some masking paper, and decided by putting the frames together, where I wanted the moon to be, stuck that down on my background card, and then did some distress inking to make a blended background.  I made sure I didn't go too dark, as I wanted the sleigh to still be seen.  

Once that was done, peeled the masking off and left it to dry, but you could hurry that up by drying the ink with your heat tool.  It needs to be totally dry before doing the stamping and embossing.  

I stamped the sleigh with black ink using the misti, as I wanted a really dark image, so stamped it 2 or 3 times.  Then embossed it with clear embossing powder.  While the misti was out, I stamped the sentiment on a scrap piece of card and cut it out to make a banner.  I cut out the background with the same outside sized square die the same as the frames. 




This is where it went a bit pear shaped, as the thin foam tape I used for dimension between the frames was super sticky and I got in a bit of a mess!

Anyway with foam tape between the first and second frames, and between the second frame and the background gave a little bit of dimension. Once they were done, I could stick the scene onto the card base, and the sentiment on with some foam tape as well and that is the card finished.  

I see I still have the pencil line for where I wanted to put my mask on this last photo.  I did go back and rub that out LOL.

If you would like to see this video in full HD then click here to go to my You tube channel.


The supplies I used to make this card are:

A set of stitched square dies
A set of inside outside stitched squares
A variety of tree dies.
White card base and 2 more sheets of card
White glitter card
Cosmic Shimmer dries clear glue
Quilled precision tip applicator bottle
Strathmore Bristol smooth water colour paper 
Distress inks, chipped sapphire, dusty concord & blueprint sketch
Ranger mini blending tools and sponges
Santa sleigh stamp
Versafine onyx black ink
Ranger clear embossing powder
Misti
Scotch foam tape
2mm foam tape
Snowflake stamp for sentiment
inkadinkadoo masking paper
Circle die
EK success tweezers
Creative expressions iced snow glitter
double sided tape

This card shows the versatility of having some basic dies such as square nesting dies, slope dies and trees to make a scene, this could equally be a general card not necessarily a Christmas card. I like to put my money into dies that I can used for a variety of purposes.

Thank you  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Helen could you tell me what rand are the square dies you used for the frame please. I haven’t been able to find any that big.. thanks Sally

Handcraftedbyhelen said...

They were from Aliexpress, but I think My favourite things makes them too.

Post a Comment