Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Beautiful Day Vellum Card


This card in essence is quite simple in idea, but in my opinion turned out very pretty.  Sometimes the reality of an idea doesn't always come to fruition, but this one I think did.




I started with my usual card base, and cut a panel about a centimetre smaller all the way around. I then cut a piece of vellum to be a bit bigger than the card panel but slightly smaller than the card base size.

I then stamped the outline flower of the Altenew beautiful day stamp all over the vellum, alternating the way it faced, with sticky ink and white embossing powder as I went, so that I could see where the stamps were, then heat set the embossing powder. I then made a mask and masked each flower while I stamped two sets of leaves per flower and removed the mask and used it for the next flower. Putting embossing powder on as I went. Once the leaves were all stamped and embossing powder put on, I heat set them all.  It melts really quickly on Vellum, you just have to be careful you don't leave it in one spot too long, as you can warp it very easily. 

Then came adding some colour.  I wanted to use some gelatos that I hadn't used before.  I tried it on a piece of scrap vellum to see if it would work my using a wet wipe, but the vellum sucked up all the moister from the wet wipe and warped very badly, so that wasn't an option.  So I did try a brush, but I couldn't get that to work very well, even though the set of gelatos came with a brush.  I will have to practise more with that.  In the meantime, I ended up using a paper towel, and had to keep using a different part of the towel as I kept putting my fingernail through it.  But it did work quite well rubbing the towel onto the gelato and then rubbing it onto the reverse side of the vellum.  I was able to spread it nicely, it was very creamy, and then build up the colour until I was happy.  It looks a lot lighter on the right side than it did on the back. 


Once I was happy with the amount of colour, I was able to glue it onto my card panel, which had been stuck onto the card base with some craft foam between to give it some dimension. I put the glue strategically onto the centre of the flowers so that you couldn't see it, and then in a few places around the edge of the card panel, so that the vellum wouldn't curl up in time. 



The sentiment was made with the 'wishing' die that goes with the Simon Says Stamp sentiment stamp called 'sending and wishing'.  I cut 3 of them in white scrap card, and glued them together one on top of each other, again for dimension, and then did a complementary sentiment from the stamp set with white embossing powder on black card. I cut this out into a banner.  I think I probably should have done the die cuts in pink or black or something, as I think the white is a bit lost.




Finally I ended up putting a few pretty pink posh sparkling droplets dotted around the card, but mainly to cover a couple of tiny green marks that I discovered on the back part of the card, after I had glued it down, so was unable to do anything about it. 

That completed the card, here is a video on making the card

The materials I uses was:
Card base 5 x 7 inches
Card panel smaller than this
Vellum
Altenew beautiful day stamp
Versamark ink
Ranger white embossing powder
Embossing buddy
Heat tool
Faber Castell Gelatos, metallic melon and metallic green
paper towels
Quilled precision tip applicator bottle
Cosmic Shimmer dries clear glue
Craft foam
Pretty pink posh sparkling droplets in 6mm & 4mm
Simon Says stamp 'Wishing' die
Simon Says Stamp 'Sending and wishing' stamp
Scraps of black and white card
Scissors
Double sided tape

I hope this card has inspired you to use the stamps you already have and use them a little differently.





1 comments:

donna sherman said...

GORGEOUS card, Helen!!! I love it! The roses and leaves look so soft in color! The sentiment was nicely done that way!!! WONDERFUL job and excellent instructions!!! Thank you for sharing!!!! LOVE it!!!!!

Post a Comment